Thursday, September 17, 2009

On the Bookshelf

Since I spend much more time reading than blogging, I decided to post every so often about books that I am reading. I am hopeful you will post some good reads too. If given a few extra minutes, I am usually reading or sewing. Some of my blog readers are blogging, and it is easy to see, that gets to the bottom of my list. One of the reasons it takes me so long to knit is because a few minutes of quiet could also be used to read. But, on a side note, I finally finished knitting a washrag called, "Last Night's Dishcloth," and I can tell you it took MONTHS to finish it!

For Personal development I am reading Seasons of a Mother's Heart by Sandy Clarkson. This book deals with motherhood, homeschooling and marriage in a hopeful, encouraging manner.

For Educational Development I am reading The History of the Ancient World by Susan Wise Bauer. We are studying the ancients this year, and I am plugging through this 800 pager.

For Theological Development I am reading No Place for Truth or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology? by David Wells. RC Sproul Jr. recommended this book. It is a deep book, and somewhat slow in the first third, but is an excellent treatise on how we got to where we are as evangelicals. It is the first book in a five book series.

For Spiritual Development I am reading Believing God by RC Sproul Jr. I got it free because we are part of the Highlands Study Center, "You Get Everything." It has many foundational truths that we say we believe, but often do not live like we believe.

For the children's morning devotions we are doing "The Put On Chart" by Pam Forster at Doorposts. This study is based on Colossians 3:12-14. She has provided paper dolls for each of the parts of clothing to dress the doll as you learn compassion, meekness, forebearance, etc.

Now you tell me: What are you reading and why? I always have room on my booklist for another book!

3 comments:

  1. Currently, I have no time for extra reading. It is all school, Crew stuff, and Bible... and the blogs that are on my roll. I'm am reviewing an e-book right now that I think you would be interested in. I tell you what it is when I get the review up. I'm interested in a couple of the books you're reading. They may go on my Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Heather. I recently bought Family Feasts for 75 a Week and A Sane Women's Guide to Raising a Large Family by owlhaven.net's Mary Ostyn. They were good books, not a lot of new info, but I don't regret spending the money for them. I've enjoyed the new recipes. I'm currently looking for something else to read. In this season of my life, I need light reading! :)

    Glad you finally finished your knitting project. Those "2 hour" projects always take me exponentially longer, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Seasons of a Mother's Heart" was on okay read for me a few years ago. Recently I read Dr. Raymond and Dorothy Moore's "The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook". I had never read any of their books and was interested in their 'Better Late' philosophy on education. Some food for thought in this book.

    Last night I completed an autobiography called "Always a 'PK'" written by Etta Ford, the sister of a Primitive Baptist elder we know (if you are like me and wonder what 'PK' stands for, it means Preacher's Kid). I have started looking at "Aftershock: What to Do When Leaders (and others) Fail You" by Ted Kitchens and plan to start "Not My Will" by Francena H. Arnold, my soon-to-be light read. These books were loaned to me by a friend, and "Not My Will" was an inspiring book for her, one that I am looking forward to experiencing.

    All of that when I am not reading to the children! For me reading is almost like breathing. I will find the time to fulfill that need. We are also reading Proverbs at breakfast day-by-day.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to interact with comments! Register with blogger so you can leave some comment love today!

Related Posts with Thumbnails