Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What is By My Bed

Well, it is that time of year again.

This is next to my side of the bed. 

Curriculum planning for next year.

I am on a time crunch since I am going to the Atlanta Curriculum Fair in 3 weeks with Dawn.  Since she is also known as Curriculum Ninja, I have to be well versed in all the possible curriculum for Rome and Greece, you know I have to hold my own:)

But, this is sick....


That is right, THREE versions of The Odyssey, and I don't even like Ancient Mythology.  Although, Penelope and Telemachus have grown on me.

So, since I am stuck in B.C. right now, what are your favorite resources for teaching third grade and under about Rome and Greece? 

I will let you in on a little secret, I almost bought a curriculum from a new company I just learned about.  I really like their reading list, but then, I wanted to use Harmony Art Mom for picture study/music study, REAL Chemistry for Kids for Science, a different poetry book for poetry, All About Spelling for Spelling, and well.... then it was not worth the $75 to have it all mapped out for me. 

Maybe it is not my bookshelves that are sick, maybe it is me?  I guess being a curriculum junkie could be worse.  Oh, and sweet hubby, can you bring that bookshelf home from work?  Six bookshelves in our home are not enough.

Remember the Crowe's Nest Media giveaway, Your Backyard DVD.  Click here to enter.  Also, a discount if you purchase before Saturday, you can buy it for $12 with the code, "Tweet."  This would make a GREAT Easter goody, it is focused on the creator and taking dominion by learning to identify 18 feeder birds. 

Heather

4 comments:

  1. Curriculum Ninja?! SNORT! Who came up with that one? ROFL!!

    I now wish I had bought The Children's Homer for Wilbur to read while Orville read the actual works. Thinking I will put it on the summer reading list. HFA was great for Wilbur this year. Brought history to life... we'll talk more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think curriculum shopng is floating around for everyone this time of the year. Is All About Spelling a good Spelling program? I've used A Beka (did not like) in the past, Sequential Spelling (just a bit plain), and BJU (that my children and I like pretty good). I am just curious to know how All About Spellig is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traci- I do love All About Spelling. I have a second grader and a K, and they are on the same lesson. I can streamline. It teaches phonics, and if I had it to do over, would just use it as my main tool to teach reading, too. We are actually about a quarter of the way through level2, you can go at your kid's pace. Some lessons we fly through, others take a week. I love tweaking it to their understanding, less time wasted. I plan on becoming an AAS affiliate, so I would love for you to buy your books through me:) I know it is a shameless plug...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We enjoyed these (not sure if they are too difficult...you can look online):
    Famous Men of Rome http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=haaren&book=rome&story=_contents

    Famous Men of Greece http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=haaren&book=greece&story=_contents

    You can purchase them from Amazon as well.

    This one is my absolute favorite for teaching about this history time period of younger children:
    http://www.amazon.com/Augustus-Caesars-World-Genevieve-Foster/dp/0964380323

    Look at your public library.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to interact with comments! Register with blogger so you can leave some comment love today!

Related Posts with Thumbnails